Make themes a top priority

Your suggestions about improvements and new modules etc.

Moderators: Koduc, Xpycm

Forum rules
Pay attention! Forum is not a means for guaranteed support of clients and users. An answer as well as a quick answer is not supposed on the forum. We post messages as soon as possible.

The message limit on the forum is 3 messages per day.
If you want to say "thank you" then use the function "Give good reputation point", which is a green icon "plus" under the nickname of the person, who answered the message.

Make themes a top priority

Postby oaao » 24 Mar 2013, 20:24

After spending over a month with ORE, I can say that the bulk of my time has been spent in trying to safely override layout. (Safe meaning not breaking future upgrades)

It would help if all layout files/views were in a default theme: ./themes/default/...
so you could quickly override any content by copying the same file into your own theme: ./themes/my-site/
This should include modules/widgets/site views/etc. I believe this is a regular Yii convention.

On a similar note, layout hidden away in things like getPrettyPrice() could also be separated into a templated view with variables passed in:
themes/default/fragments/price.template.php (or just a translation key/val in the database?)
containing something like:
%price% %currency% %type%

so, for example, if you wanted to remove most of the extra text in "1,200 USD PER MONTH", you could change the above to
$%price%
leaving "$1,200"

It would also help if Javascript was kept out of views and/or separated into files. Let's say you need to make a few minor changes to the DOM structure, possibly just adding a class -- this almost always requires editing a file that has Javascript embedded in it, which will break future upgrades.

Anything else to help separate views and make theming easier would shave so much time off development. I like ORE and plan on using it multiple times, so this would have a big impact.
oaao
Stranger

Reputation point: 0

Re: Make themes a top priority

Postby oaao » 25 Mar 2013, 19:51

Additionally, it would help if the admin was using separate views from the front end, or at least the layout was separated more.

I had to edit modules/apartments/views/_view.php to change the layout for regular users, but this greatly impacted the admin editing screens, and made upgrading difficult.
oaao
Stranger

Re: Make themes a top priority

Postby Koduc » 27 Jun 2013, 08:07

Thank for you note. We understand these problems and will try to resolve it.
-- Меньше знаешь - крепче спишь --
Koduc
Team lead
Team lead

Return to Improvements